Informing and engaging area residents

Sports & Recreation

Shootout Win For Royals Snaps Six-Game Skid

The Richmond Royals earned a 7-6 shootout win over the Renfrew Timberwolves in front of a vocal home crowd Sunday afternoon as they snapped a six-game Eastern Ontario Junior Hockey League losing streak.

It was the first win for the Royals since they edged the Carleton Place Canadians 2-1 on home ice Dec. 17. The Royals were in first place in the EOJHL Richardson Division at the time. Now, the Royals sit in third, 12 points behind Carleton Place and six behind the Arnprior Packers.

The Timberwolves took an early 2-0 lead on goals by Kieran Pritchett and Simon Kobylecki.

The Royals got one back when Dylan Rorwick ripped a shot past Renfrew goalie Cullen Brand six seconds into a powerplay. Christian White picked up the assist.

Dylan Chamberlain scored for the Timberwolves, but Jackson Dallaire responded with a goal for the Royals. White picked up his second assist of the period.

With Richmond’s Ryan Sullivan off for tripping, Kolton Osipenko netted a powerplay goal to give Renfrew a 4-2 lead after one period.

William Herrick put Renfrew ahead 5-2 just 43 seconds into the second period. The Royals chipped away at their deficit. Rorwick scored from Tyler Cutts and Tyler Hames, and Dallaire scored on a feed from Cameron Donaldson to make the score 5-4.

As the third period began, the Timberwolves scored another early goal. Kobylecki scored unassisted 32 seconds into the period. That prompted the Royals to make a goaltending change, as Ethan Dinsdale took the crease in relief of Sam Nolan.

The Royals clawed back to tie the score in the third with two goals within 71 seconds of each other midway through the period. Theo Avila scored his second goal of the year from Danny Marsden and Jackson Dallaire. Dylan Rorwick tied the score when he skated through the slot, waited for Brand to commit, and then went upstairs to tie the score and complete his hat trick.

The last 10 minutes of the game were wide open, with both goalies stepping up to keep their teams in the game. Jackson Dallaire was stopped by Brand on a breakaway with about four minutes left in the period. In the final seconds of the third, Dallaire had another breakaway, but Brand came up big again with the save for Renfrew.

After a scoreless overtime, the game went into a shootout.

After four scoreless rounds, Ryan Ladouceur beat Dinsdale to give Renfrew the advantage. Dallaire, having been stopped twice by Brand, made no mistake this time around as he snapped a quick shot top corner, glove side to tie things up.

Dinsdale then stopped Colton Lux, whose shot went off one post, scooted along the goal line and hit the other goalpost before popping out. Christian White then stepped on the ice for the Royals and won the game as he handcuffed Brand for the game winner, triggering a massive celebration on the ice.

The previous night in Renfrew, the Royals fell behind early and their comeback fell short as the Timberwolves were 4-3 winners.

Renfrew led 3-0 after one period and 4-1 after two, with Christian White scoring for Richmond from Cameron Donaldson and Connor Buffam.

In the third, Rorwick scored from Tyler Cutts and Trent Poitras, and Tyler Hames scored from Connor Platt to make the score 3-2. The Royals could not get the equalizer, and Renfrew held on for a 4-3 win.