[dropcap]S[/dropcap]Shout out a big “thank you!” to our local volunteer firefighters at Station 82 here in Richmond, not only for the fire and rescue service they provide which is second to none, but also for their ongoing generosity within the community!
The Richmond Firefighters Association fundraises through a variety of means including personal contributions at internal events. Many in Richmond help support their work through participation in the annual chicken barbecue every June. The funds raised through these initiatives have traditionally been donated back into the community to various organizations and/or individuals and families in need.
Captain Mike Ryan and Pete Laplante of the Firefighters Association explained that this year the Association identified a need to support healthy and active living. Clayton Foster was recognized for bringing the initiative forward. It was felt this would be of benefit to many of the children and youth in the community. The Association selected seven local organizations that play a direct role in supporting and/or promoting active living for local children and youth.
The local organizations selected are as follows:
- St Philips Catholic School – represented by Victoria White
- Richmond Public School – represented by Nancy Dlouhy
- South Carleton High School – represented by Bill Arden
- Richmond Munster Minor Hockey Association – represented by John Sunstrum
- Goulbourn Skating Club – represented by Cheryl Goldie
- Goulbourn Girls Hockey Association – represented by Kathy Bureau
- Richmond Munster Minor Softball Association – represented by Brenda Hutchinson & Michelle McIver
The Firefighters presented a monetary donation of $500.00 each for the purchase of sporting equipment and/or materials to support their programs.
Following the presentations to recipients, Todd Horricks, Sector Chief Ottawa Fire, recognized Station 82 firefighters for their good work on behalf of the entire department. Richmond is in good hands!